Marlow Methodist Church
Sharing God's Love
Welcome to the history part of the website. Marlow Methodist Church has often been referred to as 'the hidden church'. Quietly set back from Spittal Street, the existing building was built in 1900. Originally the local planners intended to widen Spittal Street as the town grew, hence why the church was set back. However, as often the case, plans changed and the roadside shops and pubs remained. However, the church remains a lively place of worship for the town.
Built in 1900, it replaced a smaller chapel. The original 'school room' was built next door in the late 1800s. The hall served the church wonderfully, and was replaced in 1988 with the Wesley Hall as it is seen today. Challenge 2000 set out a new vision for the building with a bigger welcome area being designed to offer a greater and warmer welcome with the use of lighting and glass. This work joined the church and the hall for the first time.
As with any 100 year old buildings, there can be maintenance issues and such a problem with a rotten floor was embraced by the congregation not as a problem to moan about, but a new challenge and opportunity to refurbish the church. In 2007, the floor was replaced, the pews replaced with flexible seating, an all new audio visual system and completely redecorated bringing the church bang up to date as a building we are truly proud of.
We have a fantastic building with such history and character, but of course, it's the warmth of the welcome that really matters, so pop in and say hello.
This page is regularly updated, please select here to view the latest version.